Ronaldo refutes "abominable crime" rape allegations
On Wednesday, Juventus forward star player Cristiano Ronaldo “firmly” denied the rape allegations levelled on him by the Women Kathryn Mayorga from America, accusing the latter of seeking to promote herself via this controversy.
Ronaldo wrote on his twitter,” I firmly deny the accusations being issued against me. Rape is an abominable crime that goes against everything that I am and believe in.
Keen as I may be to clear my name, I refuse to feed the media spectacle created by people seeking to promote themselves at my expense."
"My clear conscious will thereby allow me to await with tranquillity the results of any and all investigations," Ronaldo added in a separate tweet.
Ronaldo’s remarks comes in the wake of the reopening of a 2009 investigation by the Las Vegas Police over accusations made by Kathryn Mayorga, who alleged that Ronaldo had sexually assaulted her in the palms hotel on June 13,2009.
Ronaldo had earlier redbuffed Kathryn Mayorga’s allegations in an Instagram live video, calling them “fake news”.
"No, no, no, no, no. What they said today (was) fake news. They want to promote my name. It's normal. They want to be famous to say my name. Yeah, but it is part of the job. I'm a happy man, I'm all good," Ronaldo said in that video.
In 2010 to withdraw all charges and never go to public with them Kathryn Mayorga, is reported to have reached a settlement of $375,000. Her lawyers are reportedly seeking to nullify the non-disclosure agreement.